Smooth(ie) Prep


I have been slacking on my smoothie intake lately due to sheer laziness and complete ignorance of breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Not eating breakfast has left me with less energy and more afternoon nap time than necessary. Don't get me wrong - I'm an advocate for napping, but I also know the importance of daily nutrition.

Yesterday, I decided to take a proactive approach to this issue by creating single serving smoothie baggies. A grab-and-go method for the girl-on-the-go, like yours truly. I just so happened to have a variety of fruit hanging out in the kitchen that needed some attention - the perfect smoothie concoction!

Over at the old chopping block, I cut up one mango, a pint of strawberries, half a pint of blueberries, half a pint of blackberries and four bananas (1/2 a banana per bag) and separated the fruit evenly into seven small ziplock bags. Each bag contains one-and-a-half cups of fruit total - a healthy dose of naturally sweet and nutritious offerings for the day! After the bags were loaded up, I made sure I got all of the extra air out, sealed them up tight and placed the bags in the freezer to preserve the state of the fruit for future smoothie consumption.

This is a great way to prep your smoothies for the week! Just this morning, I grabbed a pre-cut fruit baggie out of the freezer and let it thaw while I got dressed for the gym. (Maybe 10 minutes? It's the gym, ya know?) I whipped out my NutriBullet (you can use a blender or food processor, too!), placed the now partially thawed fruit inside and added my liquid elements (almond milk, water and a little unsweetened tea for caffiene purposes) to blend an amazingly, delicious smoothie before my morning workout. I enjoyed every sip of my smoothie on my 10 minute ride to the gym - yum!

I felt 100% better today - high energy and no napping. Do yourself a favor and prep your smoothies for the week on a lazy Sunday afternoon! It'll save you time in the mornings, as well as the hassle of doing more work before you even get to work. You deserve a break, champ.

Comments

Popular Posts