Coffee Buzz: Charlotte

It's been a while since I promised you guys a new posting - my bad. In my defense, I've been on a job pilgrimage throughout Charlotte, NC and Washington, DC the past month; applying to and interviewing for jobs in each city. I've also had the opportunity to explore a bit and find hidden jewels within each place!

Today, my focus is on Charlotte - the "Queen City" - as I've spent A LOT of time here with some of the best people I've ever met, and am SO beyond grateful for (btw'bs!) Charlotte is full of life, beauty, awesome food, breweries, pimento cheese (yum), and COFFEE! I've found that coffee aficionados in the Queen City also source their ingredients locally, which I applaud and grant extra brownie points for their efforts.

My coffee background is not a broad one, as I only started appreciating this magic bean two-years ago. Pretty sure I had a vendetta against it, as I was my parent's coffee bitch after a long day at work for a good percentage of my childhood. Thanks, Mom and Dad. I could have developed my love of java a long ass time ago... My mom is definitely going to appreciate that last sentence. ;)

Anywho, coffee has become one of my favorite beverages to sip on, wake up with, and taste test at various shoppes. (To avoid confusion - in America, I'm referring to 'shops'. I prefer 'shoppes' for fancy reasons.) During my Charlotte escapades, I have had the pleasure of loitering in coffee shops all over the city serving the classic cup of Joe to the unique (some might claim 'trendy') concoctions. I like to think of them as an evolving group with a creative aspiration at take over the coffee market and believe they are succeeding.

Not Just Coffee
Vanilla Sugar Latte at Not Just Coffee
My first stop on the Charlotte Coffee Trail (the CCT, if you will) was the highly recommended Not Just Coffee. With 2 locations 7th Street Market in Uptown Charlotte and Atherton Market in Southend, Not Just Coffee is a coffee bar with a strong focus on handcrafted espresso and pour overs. Both locations are a great place to pop into or hang out at for a bit. Each and every beverage is made-to-order, which makes the experience a fresh and enjoyable one. No stale coffee at this joint! They also use local coffee beans from Counter Culture Coffee, as well as local milk from Homeland Creamery.  I highly recommend the Vanilla Sugar Latte for those who enjoy a little sweetness in their brew. For others who like their coffee black, try a pour over. All delicious, all the time!

The NoDa area (North Davidson Street for the newbs) was my next stop on the great CCT. NoDa has an awesome vibe - it houses many of the local breweries and bakeries in the area and is transitioning into a great, artsy neighborhood. Oh yeah, and they have coffee.

Smelly Cat Coffeehouse
Cuban at Smelly Cat - c/o J.King
My first thought when I came across this gem was obviously, "What are they feeding you?", and yes, I sang it - to myself. What I found was the cutest little coffeehouse with a cozy, relaxed vibe and an awesome, friendly staff. The service was also on point. Smelly's menu contains your basics when it comes to coffee (Americano, Lattes, etc.) However, the flavor is amazing, made with love, and the beans are roasted in-house! During my visit, I sipped on a Cuban while typing away on my laptop in one of their semi-private alcoves. The Cuban was delightful, as was the atmosphere - the music was great and the people were chill, which made for an enjoyable afternoon at Smelly Cat. They also have super cute handmade mugs, as well as other apparel and brew ware for the coffee lover in you. Another great feature is their new food menu, which was introduced the day after my visit. Add homemade bagels, breads, desserts and hummus to your coffee order while you're there!

The Daily Press CLT
Slappin' da Bas...il at The Daily Press
My next destination in NoDa was The Daily Press CLT, which is an awesome name for a coffee shoppe - if you ask me! The Daily Press has a very chill vibe, that I sincerely believe shadows over the entire NoDa scene. They also have a very creative menu, infusing seasonal ingredients into their blends. There were SO many options, which I appreciate, but have the urge to try them all - coffee flight anyone? (This should be a thing.) On my recent trip, I chose their Slappin' da Bas...il because it a.) intrigued me and b.) that's hilarious. Slappin' da Bas...il is an iced coffee infused with cucumber and juniper syrup along with a lovely hint of basil to boot! I have never had anything like it before and look forward to their fall menu for a new variety of delicious concoctions. Another fun fact about The Daily Press is their hosting of the NoDa Farmers Market on Saturday mornings from 10am-2pm with fruits and veggies from local vendor Atherton Food Hub.

Mugs Coffee
White Mocha Latte at Mugs
Moving over the the South Park area of Charlotte, Mugs Coffee offers an amazing White Mocha Latte and the best jams (music, not fruit spread) to serenade a gal while she enjoys her cuppa Joe. Mugs is hidden in a small shopping center off of Park Road. They serve Magnolia Coffee, local to North Carolina [brownie points], milkshakes, and ice cream (always a great idea). Their walls are adorned with local artist's work, which is conveniently priced for sale and supports the art community. Fun fact: this entire post was written at Mugs, which means it's nice and quiet-like. My only complaint is the paper cups for in-house drinkers... Personally, I want something pretty that I can Instagram.


Overall, the coffee scene in Charlotte is pretty legit, maybe even too legit (to quit). There is a coffee house for all levels of coffee lovers from novice to extreme. I still have a few places to check out on the Charlotte Coffee Trail and will report back soon.

My next mission is the Charlotte's local brewing scene! Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts