Alfredo Sauce with a Coconut Twist



During a very hungover trip to Trader Joe's one Sunday morning, I had the very present craving for comfort food. While stalking the aisles for what would become dinner, I stumbled upon TJ's Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Raviolis. Tomato Sauce would not do these raviolis justice, but CHEESE Sauce - yes, please.

I came across Coconut Creamer in the dairy aisle and thought it might be nice in my coffee. Then the thought of a lighter Alfredo Sauce came to mind. "What if...," is always my favorite thought when it comes to food (and life in general.) Being a little inventive in the kitchen never hurts, right?

Let me tell you, I pat myself on the back with this one. A nice, light (while equally delicious AND gluten-free) cheese sauce from scratch that's sure to satisfy anyone's hungover (or not-so-hungover) comfort food craving. Eat up!

Alfredo Sauce with a Coconut Twist
Serves 2-4 people

2-3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1-2 tablespoons Chickpea Flour
1 1/2 cups Coconut Creamer
1 teaspoon White Pepper
1-2 cups Pecorino Romano Cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

In a small sauce pan, melt butter on medium-high. Whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of chickpea flour until combined. I started with one tablespoon to test the thickness and went with two - the choice is yours, my friend. Slowly whisk in the coconut creamer a little at a time and let it thicken. Add pepper, cheese and red pepper flakes and stir until cheese is melted. Taste and see if it needs anything - salt, more pepper, maybe garlic powder?

This sauce is easy to make and has great flavor! Try it over any type of fresh pasta and you're all set. If you don't go back for seconds, you're crazy. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts